Monday, July 27, 2015

TpT Conference and Periscope Excitement

Hi friends! Have you heard about the new social media phenomenon called Periscope? I hadn't until I attended the TpT conference in Vegas.

I must admit that the TpT Conference was AMAZING and I learned so much from some of the most talented and creative people in the teaching and blogging community. Here's are a few photos of me meeting a few of my favorite TpT sellers and teacher authors. It was hard limiting the pics to just a few because I have tons. I felt like such a fan girl meeting all these Educelebrities.
Amy Lemons of Step into Second Grade with Mrs. Lemons  
Cara Carroll of The First Grade Parade
At the beginning of one of the sessions, a presenter said that there wasn't any live streaming or Periscoping allowed at the sessions. I remember thinking, "no problem" because I had no idea what they meant by Periscoping.

I quickly learned (with a quick Google search) that Periscoping is a video streaming platform owned by Twitter. It allows users to transmit a live recording of themselves to their Periscope or Twitter audience in real time. Followers can interact with the "Scoper" (person broadcasting the video) and comment, ask questions, and give "hearts" approval feedback for ideas that resonate with them. Videos from your followers are available for 24 hours and then they disappear. (However, it is possible for the user to "save" the scope to another platform but that's a whole other post.)

When we came back from Vegas, it seemed like no one wanted the enthusiasm of being together and idea sharing to end. A few Scopers hopped on and started broadcasting and it's only been a few weeks now and I'm hooked. I love Periscope! When I hear the whistle alert, I get excited for some great new teacher tips.

If you haven't experienced Periscope yet, here's are some tips:

  • When you hear the Periscope whistle alert, log into Periscope as fast as you can (especially if the Scoper is well known). Otherwise the broadcast will be too full and you can watch but you can't interact with those in the room. Often, Scopers will give Instagram or Twitter previews alerting you when they will be on and what they're Scoping about. 
  • When the Scoper turns the camera around, the screen goes blank for a moment and the volume mutes. It's okay - the feed will come back on shortly. 
  • If you like the content you are hearing on the Scope, tap the screen to give "hearts" approval feedback to the Scoper. 
  • If someone in the chat says something interesting or profound, you might want to consider following their Twitter account. Simply tap their name and click on "view profile" and then click "follow."
  • If the broadcast is too full and you still want to interact with the Scoper, you can Tweet them by clicking the "share" button and then clicking the "share on Twitter" button. This will allow you to send a Twitter message directly to that person. Use the hashtags #periscopeteachers #periscopeEDU to connect will fellow educators. 

If you're looking for Periscopers to follow, you might want to check out some of my favorites:

  • Angie Olson from Lucky Little Learners @MrsAOlson
  • Ashley Schroeder from Schroeder Shenanigans in Second @schroedershenan
  • Kim Bearden from the Ron Clark Academy @kimbearden 
  • Amy Lemons from Step Into 2nd Grade @Stepinto2nd
  • Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade @thefirstgradeparade
  • Hope King from Elementary Shenanigans @hopeking
  • Shelia from Sheila Jane Teaching @sheilajteaching
  • Mel Dillard from Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations @seusstastic 
Of course, join my Sparkle crew by following me on Twitter at Add Some Sparkle @addsparkle88. I hope to do my own Scope very soon. Stay tuned.
 photo Stacey Blog Signature_zpsujslgn3h.png

No comments:

Post a Comment