Tuesday, August 30, 2016


Class Checklists: Best Resource EVER!

Have you tried using a class checklist in your classroom? If not, you're missing out on the BEST RESOURCE EVER. It is my secret weapon that I use on a daily basis to keep me organized in my classroom.

Want to try one? It's a free resource from my TpT store, Add Some Sparkle.

Here's how you can get started:

  1. Download the Editable Class Checklist from my TpT Store
  2. Choose either the 25 student or 30 student checklist 
  3. Locate the editable sections of the resource by clicking on the blue boxes 
  4. Fill out the left side of your checklist with your classroom information, assignment information (if desired...I usually leave this blank), and your class roster. The form will automatically fill in the right-side of the document for you after you hit the "return/enter" key when you're finished typing.  
  5. Print your checklist. 
Now what? 
Print out a plain, white copy of your checklist and take it to a local printer (like Office Depot) to be made into tear-off pads. You'll need to tell the printer a few printing instructions: print on bright, colored paper, cut in half vertically, bind at the top, and each tear-off pad should have 50 sheets of paper each with a cardboard back.   

If you don't want to spend the money to make into tear-off pads, you can bind the checklist yourself with a small binder clip.

Classroom Organization Heaven 
I've used this resource in my classroom for ten years and I still love it. Here's some tips and tricks on how you can use it in your room. 
  • A teacher or the students themselves can put a checkmark in the "Done" column when they turn their assignment in. I leave a class checklist and a pencil on top of the tray where students turn in assignments and have taught them how to "mark it done" before they turn their assignment into the tray. 
  • There's no need to put graded papers in alphabetical or special number order. I use a class checklist while I grade and use this paper when I input my grades electronically. The students names are in alphabetical order on the checklist and that corresponds to my electronic grade book. I group my checklists by subject and group them with a binder clip to serve as a paper "backup" just incase my electronic grade book crashes (fingers crossed this never happens).   
  • If a parent volunteer or assistant needs to work with students, I give them a checklist. It gives them a quick reference on who the "next" student they need to work with is and it tells me as teacher who has completed the assignment or activity in one glance.  
  • I can't tell you how many times (picture day, fundraiser packet distribution day, district testing day) I needed a quick listing of the first and last names of everyone who was in my class. A class checklist does the trick every time. 
I'd love to hear how you are using my class checklists in your classroom. Send me a tweet @addsparkle88 or follow me on Instagram @addsomesparkle88.


No comments:

Post a Comment